Get ready for the upcoming production season by increasing the climate resilience of your farm or ranch.
Resources and tools from the Climate & Agriculture Initiative BC (CAI) can help you prepare for extreme events or take steps to adapt to the changing climate.
Complete your farm/ranch wildfire plan to prepare for wildfire emergency and implement risk reduction before a wildfire hits.
Check out these short videos:
- Benefits of creating a wildfire plan
- How to complete your operations map
- Steps for reducing wildfire spread on the farm or ranch
Watch a two-part webinar series that walks through wildfire planning considerations and actions. Preparedness workshops for farmers and ranchers are coming to the Kootenay & Boundary regions in the spring of 2022. Subscribe to the CAI newsletter to hear when the workshops are planned.
Use the Farm Flood Readiness Toolkit to assess your flood risk and prepare ahead flooding. This series of fact sheets and worksheets cover the following topics:
- Creating a farm flood readiness plan
- Determining your farm’s flood risk level
- Reducing impacts through permanent and temporary floodproofing measures
- Protecting livestock
- And more!
Download the Farm Flood Readiness Toolkit
The impacts of floods on farms and surrounding areas can be reduced by healthy riparian areas. A new project is underway to help producers maintain and improve riparian health. Producer workshops and field days are coming this spring and summer of 2022. Subscribe to the CAI newsletter to find out when the events are planned.
These webinars can help you improve water management on dryland farms:
- Tap into the water conservation benefits of trees on farm with agroforestry
- Conserve water and manage soil moisture using organics and tilth
- Use keyline design to slow, sink, spread and store water and plan for overflow
- Improve dryland hay production with forage crop and variety selection
Want to optimize irrigation to save money, save time and increase yields? The four-part Irrigate Better webinar series can help! Topics covered include:
Want to optimize irrigation to save money, save time and increase yields? The four-part Irrigate Better webinar series can help:
NEW videos and case studies will be coming soon! To be notified when they are available, subscribe to the CAI newsletter.
These guides will help you identify pests, learn how and when to monitor them and implement options for control.